Watch these movies today 

What were your most favorite movies of the last year? We interviewed many kids from Edison Intermediate School and found the top three movies that were released in 2022. A movie is a story or event recorded by a camera as a set of moving images and shown in a theater or on television; a motion picture. Movies are something that brings people joy and can be watched with family or friends. The top 3 movies released in 2022 according to both staff and students that attend Edison Intermediate School were Top Gun: Maverick, Black Panther and Avatar The Way of Water. The majority of students interviewed said Top Gun: Maverick was their favorite of the ones they watched. The second most liked was Black Panther, and lastly the 3rd most favorite movie of ´22 was Avatar.

On May 27, 2022 Top Gun: Maverick was released by Paramount Pictures. It got a 96% Rotten Tomatos and a 99% audience score. At EIS, 44.4% of  people that we interviewed stated that this was the best movie of 2022. Christopher Wiley, science teacher exclaimed, “I did not think they could make movies like this… and there was a reason it was number one.”

Mr. Wiley has watched many movies and believed this was the strongest one. Seventh grader Simon Walsh claimed that the movie Top Gun: Maverick was his favorite movie released in 2022 because “It had a good story, and it elaborated off the first one.” 

He also said, “The ending changed the relationships of two characters who didn’t connect in the beginning.” 

This is one of the many reasons students picked Top Gun: Maverick. This explains the relation of the original Top Gun movie, and how it compares to the newly released one from this past year. Not only does this compare the two movies but it also goes deeper into character development and how it greatly impacted the storyline. 

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever was released on November 11, 2022. This was the sequel to Black Panther and was released by Marvel studios. It received an 84% Rotten Tomatoes and a 94% audience score. Many students enjoyed the movie because it was unexpected, including student Tierman Riley who exclaimed, “It’s exciting and unexpected.” 

Seventh grade student Mirabella Duguid said, “I really like the action that happened, and it was a nice preview to who was gonna die.”

Black Panther was not only an intense action movie, but it helped many kids see a role model for them on the screen.  Eighth grader Nathan Carter expressed, “We have African American leaders, and the main character is someone who I could look up to.” 

Overall this movie is highly recommended for people who enjoy intense-head turning moments. 

The last and final movie that was highly picked was Aviator: The Way of Water. It was released on December 16, 2022 by Disney. It was rated a 77% rotten tomato score and a 92% audience score. Jack Critchry stated, “The CGI and story was really good.” 

To add on, he talked about the animation of the movie, and how it enhanced the color of the story. Lily Rotella, an eighth grader, explained how she is a Disney fan: “The first movie was really good, and the second one was a good follow up.”  

These are some of the things people were saying about Aviator and why it is one of the top 3 movies of 2022. Which movie is your favorite?