• Our new staff is now featured in the 2024 Staff section.

Edison Insider

The Student News Site of Thomas Alva Edison Intermediate School

Edison Insider

Edison Insider

Audience sees Frozen come to life for the first time in forever

Fiona+Brown+and+Corabelle+Martin+both+sparkled+in+the+EIS+production+of+Frozen.+
Photo provided Mr. Mike Altmann
Fiona Brown and Corabelle Martin both sparkled in the EIS production of Frozen.
Gavin Salerno, Lucas Castelluccio, Norah Cabral, Talia Esposito, Hannah Doll, James Diamond, and Naya Patel dance with Olaf, Rylan Bowie during the song “In Summer.” (Photo provided by Mr. Mike Altmann)
Fiona Brown, Rylan Bowie, Gavin Salerno, and Anish Iyer all together in Frozen.

The cold never bothered the audience as they were fascinated by the performance put on the stage at Edison Intermediate School (EIS). The famous Frozen Jr. was performed by the EIS theater guild from March 20-23. This production featured famous tunes from the Frozen movie and Broadway show, such as “In Summer,” “For the First Time in Forever,” and “Let It Go.” Frozen the Musical is a beloved theatrical performance that everyone around the world gets to enjoy. According to Playbill.com,  “When tenable, Disney Theatrical Productions intends to resume the Frozen North American tour and open international stagings in London, Japan, and Germany later in 2021” (Playbill.com).

The Frozen movie has done extremely well economically. According to BoxOfficeMojo, Frozen the Movie has produced grosses domestic (31.3%) $400,738,009, international (68.7%) $880,064,273, and worldwide $1,280,802,282” (Box Office Mojo). 

EIS has done several famous productions in the past, all of which were very successful. According to Vocal Music teacher Mr. Stephen Markowski, “Our last few musicals include Cinderella, SpongeBob, Annie, and Seussical. They all did very well and sold out at least one of the performance days.” 

However, Frozen sold out more quickly than past shows. Some people were scrambling to get tickets in the booked auditorium. Seventh grader Karl Westerling commented, “Yes, I’m going to see Frozen Jr. if the tickets aren’t gone.”

The whole cast of Frozen on stage.

Frozen Jr. appealed to all ages, especially elementary schoolers who were thrilled to see their favorite characters on stage. The theater guild even decided to add an additional date to the show performed especially for elementary schoolers. Drama teacher and musical director Mr. Michael Altmann stated, “Frozen would bring in people, and everyone, especially little kids, would enjoy it.” 

The cast members expressed their excitement at seeing their favorite Frozen characters come to life as well. Eighth grader Rylan Bowie who played Olaf claimed, “My favorite character is Olaf because a lot of the gloomy parts are relieved by Olaf’s comedy.”

This wholesome creation attracts many long-term fans of the movie as well. Teenagers who loved the movie as a kid were eager to see the musical and experience the magic again. Seventh grader Roni Dinstein remembered, “I liked Frozen because I have a younger sister too, and I can just relate to the movie. For Halloween one year, I was Anna and my younger sister was Elsa.”

Teachers and staff with young children were also excited to bring their children to the new Wednesday show. Orchestra teacher Mrs. Amanda Gant expressed, “I’m bringing my kids to the show on Wednesday. I’m sure they are excited to see the iconic characters and music on stage.”

According to the cast, the songs in Frozen Jr. were absolutely marvelous and incomparable. Eighth grader Abby Drennan mentioned, “My favorite song from the musical is ‘Love is an Open Door,’ because it’s super fun and energetic.”

The musical stirred a lot of excitement in Westfield. People were excited to see an iconic Disney film brought to the stage. Mr. Altmann exclaimed, “I wanted to do a show that would accent talent. The whole thing is amazing!”