• Our new staff is now featured in the 2024 Staff section.

Edison Insider

The Student News Site of Thomas Alva Edison Intermediate School

Edison Insider

Edison Insider

Pre-break activities boost excitement for a refreshing break

EIS+teachers+Dave+Parke+and+Steve+Markowski+playing+during+the+student+teacher+volleyball+game.+
Photo by Debbie Vezos
EIS teachers Dave Parke and Steve Markowski playing during the student teacher volleyball game.
Eighth grade student Kamila El-Koury serving for the student team during the game. (Photo by Debbie Vezos)

As April rolls around, and students eagerly await for their upcoming break, there’s a chance for the school to make a huge difference. Pre-break activities serve as more than just a countdown to vacation. School activities are crucial to hold before an out-of-school break due to the work and test load that students receive and their mental health. These activities help to relieve a child’s brain and trigger their dopamine sensors which lead them to a more joyful mindset and exciting break. “When children follow their curiosity, especially with opportunities to make predictions and discover more about things they are curious about, they are rewarded with a provocative surge of dopamine pleasure and satisfaction” (Psychology Today). 

To add on, our experienced eighth grade math teacher, Mr. Zachary Crutcher stated, “My favorite pre-break activity is the student-teacher volleyball game. I think it is important because it shows a sense of unity bringing our school community together and having fun.” 

Head custodian Kevin Womack taking a shot at the student vs. teachers basketball game before winter break.

Countless students find solace in these exciting memories and experiences with their school communities. Eighth grade student, Sophia Ballard states, “My favorite pre-break activity is the student versus teacher basketball game, and I like having a half day before break.”

The mention of the student versus teacher basketball game highlights the enjoyment in school wide competition. As students sit back and immerse themselves in the basketball game, it gives them a chance to unwind. Seventh grade student Louis Mattielli explained, “My favorite aspect of pre-break activities in general is getting a chance to clear my mind and socialize with my classmates.”

In addition, sixth grade student Alexa Najjar explained, “I really enjoy the student teacher volleyball game before spring break  because I get to see the eighth graders play and laugh with my friends.” 

These memorable experiences create joy and understanding within the school community.