• Our new staff is now featured in the 2024 Staff section.

Edison Insider

The Student News Site of Thomas Alva Edison Intermediate School

Edison Insider

Edison Insider

Principal LaNova Schall leads Edison Intermediate School

After two years of service as the assistant principal at Edison Intermediate School (EIS), Mrs. LaNova Schall began a new journey as the newly appointed principal. Prior to this year’s school year, she announced that she was no longer staying at EIS. However, Mrs. Schall remains at EIS and continues to impact the Westfield Public Schools for the better, as she did in the past couple of years.

Mrs. Schall was born in Livingston, New Jersey, and grew up in East Orange. She attended high school at Clifford J. Scott High School. Throughout her early years, she had several interests. From law to communications, to journalism, to psychology, Mrs. LaNova Schall has obtained a lot of knowledge throughout her life. “When I was in eighth grade, I wanted to be a lawyer. I was in the debate club and did mock trials. I applied to college under pre-law,” Mrs. Schall remarked. 

After attending Pennsylvania State University, and graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree, she worked at many different school districts. Throughout her involvement in several schools, Mrs. Schall has gained a lot of experience with working with other people. “I was an assistant principal in Somerville, New Jersey,” she said.

Principal Mrs. LaNova Schall visits eighth graders who are writing creative stories in ELA class. New Jersey, for two years. Then, I taught at East Orange as a teacher for four years, and supervisor for four years before working in Somerville,” she stated. 

Moreover, Mrs. Schall hopes to positively change EIS by ensuring that everyone feels content at school. She described, “My biggest plan for EIS is to make sure that every student is comfortable and to completely eradicate people being harassed or bullied. Everyone needs a trusted adult to do that, so it is a big task.”

Mrs. Schall was previously mentored by Dr. Matthew Bolton, the former school principal, who took a new job at the Westfield Board of Education. “I was happy for him for being assistant superintendent. Dr. Bolton is one of my mentors, along with Dr. Gonzalez and Mr. Gechtman,” she stated. 

Outside of school, Mrs. Schall enjoys other pursuits, such as staying active and spending time with her family. She has three kids and two dogs. “I love hiking, sleeping, and karaoke. I enjoy watching my kids play sports, which is soccer and fencing,” she mentioned.