Audiences jump into Bikini Bottom for this year’s musical 

Students and parents swam into an aquatic adventure watching the Edison Intermediate School’s spring performance of SpongeBob Square Pants the Musical, from March 31-April 2. Edison eighth grader Katherine Augustyn shared, “It was incredible, and I can’t believe it was middle school students up there.”  

The musical was based off of the hit Nickelodeon show SpongeBob SquarePants. The story takes place in Bikini Bottom where Mt. Humongous, a nearby volcano, will erupt within the next 48 hours and completely obliterate Bikini Bottom. The level of panic increases from the citizens, causing them to turn on each other. SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy try to stop this volcano to save their town with some bumps along the way. The audience loved the way the show was interpreted by the Edison Theater Guild. Seventh grader Olivia Marquet declared, “I really liked the decorations on the stage and how they were very ‘SpongeBob’. I also loved the costumes. They all really matched their character.”

Putting on an Edison show takes a lot of time and commitment, as told to students before they audition for the show. Sixth grader Fiona Brown who played a Sardine and Sea Anemone in the musical said, “It’s a huge commitment because rehearsals are very tiring, but it’s so worth it.” 

The students went to rehearsals every day after school for about 3 months until 5 p.m. for the production, and practiced all day on a Saturday the week before the show. On the week of the show, the cast and crew stayed as late as 7 p.m. every day.

Many kids looking to audition are afraid of the audition process and putting themselves out there. Auditions are typically split up over 3 days, and include singing and dancing. Students auditioning have to learn the material before they audition. To anyone reading this article who wants to audition but is too scared, take this advice from eighth grader Alaina Stewart, who was a Pirate and BFF in the show. She said, “Go for it. You don’t have anything to lose.” 

Eighth grader Arianna Kaban, who played Pearl, added, “If you get in the show, you’ll have the time of your life.” 

Eighth grader Lily Erneta, who played SpongeBob in the musical, shared her experience as the lead in the show. She claimed her favorite part of being in the show was the love she felt when she got a standing ovation from the crowd. She said, “I think we did a very amazing job with what we had. The show turned out better than I could have ever imagined.”    

The production was directed by Public Speaking and Drama teacher Mr. Michael Altmann. He has directed Edison shows for years now, and has explained why he’s done it for so long. “I do it for the kids. I love creating shows with them, laughing with them, and just enjoying our time together.  I am one lucky teacher.”

According to Mr. Altmann, the show “couldn’t have been more perfect.” He elaborated when he said, “I am so proud of everyone involved and I am lucky to have a great team to work with and great students to work with and learn from.  I am just so happy we are back and we delivered an awesome show!”