People fight against injustice

In today’s world, we see so many variations of social injustice. Some examples range from inequality shown towards people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, and women. There are many protesters and applies of these battles for equality all over our country and the world, but we still have not seen enough change. We have to continue fighting and doing our parts in order to unite our planet. Everyone deserves the same basic human rights, but these groups of people are not receiving the love and fairness they deserve. A lot of protests have taken place especially starting from June 2020. “As a police officer this past summer I was able to see how effective a peaceful protest can be” explained Officer Tiffany Kenny.

Starting many years ago, systemic racism has been an urgent but ignored issue in our society. Historically, people of color were treated horrifically. They were looked at as not real human beings, and not worth basic human rights. Today, there are still absurd levels of oppression shown towards people of color, taking away many opportunities that people of other races are privileged to have. We see these examples of injustice in sports, professional and nonprofessional, at school, in large companies or job offerings, etc. 

We also largely see this oppression becoming extremely violent all over our country. “Despite the fact that more white people have been killed by police, Black and Hispanic people are disproportionately impacted.  While white people make up a little over 60% of the population, they only make up about 41% of fatal police shootings.  Black people make up 13.4% of the population, but make up 22% of fatal police shootings.  This does not take into consideration other forms of police brutality, including non-lethal shootings,” (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People). 

From this quote, we can see the unfairness and brutality shown towards people of color in statistics. These numbers are disproportional, and there is a need for a change. All over our country, there have been so many protests by people who want to make a change, and who want their voices to be heard, including one in Westfield earlier this year. Many of these protests are occurring due to police brutality. People are tired of seeing and experiencing this injustice, and are dying for change. Protests have brought a lot of attention to the issue, and there have been many widely funded organizations in order to help. So many citizens have donated and done their part in doing what they believe is right to contribute to this world-wide issue. 

These protests are formed by exhausted citizens who march in support of people of color. People from all walks of life come together to protest against this systemic racism. Such a powerful movement is destined to come out with positive results, and many people love to contribute to know they were part of a world-wide movement and change. It is unfair to the children who grow up, hearing awful slurs used against them. Unfair to the young adults who are looked at and immediately turned down at a job interview. Unfair to any person of color who has ever experienced physical violence against them simply because of the color of their skin. Everyone deserves the same rights, no matter their race, gender, sexuality, etc., and allies of this movement act in hopes of making a change towards a united, equal nation. A nation in which everyone is treated equally, and nothing less than that, because being treated equally is what each and every individual deserves.

LGBTQ+ people expierence alot of discrimination. People harass and bully them because of their sexual orientation. There have been countless acts of hate crimes and slurs used to demean people of the LGBTQ+ community. LGBTQ+ people have been experiencing inequality and unfairness for quite some time. Although there has been some progress, there are still steps that need to be taken before they are truly treated as equals.

Even in 2020 acts of homophobia and transphobia are still occurring. Even the president of the United States,  Donald Trump, has done harmful things to the LGBTQ+ community. Donald Trump has pursued a very different agenda when it comes to employment, health care and civil rights protections for L.G.B.T.Q. individuals, and has been especially focused on rolling back policies that have benefited transgender people. Trump administration enforce a ban of trangender people from serving openly in the military. Trump administrations also removed nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people when it comes to health care and health insurance which means doctors are allowed to deny them treatment. There is also no federal law that prevents businesses from not hiring or firing someone because of their sexual orientation.

The LGBTQ+ community doesn’t just experience inequity in jobs, minors also experience quite a bit of cruelty. In some schools, transgender teens are forbidden from using the bathroom of the gender they go by and are forced to use a special bathroom or the bathroom of their born sex. Furthermore, sexual orientation is one of the main reasons why people get bullied in high school. Students get beat up and taunted by their peers. Bullying puts youth at increased risk for depression, suicidal ideation, misuse of drugs and alcohol and can affect academics as well. Some people even put their childconversion therapy where they believe that homosexuality is a “mental disorder” that can be treated. Conversion therapy can range from phschological counseling to religious practices and even sexual abuse in effort to change someone from gay to straight.

According to Katelyn Figueiredo, a freshman at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School, the struggles of sexual orientation are extensive. “As a teenager who had discovered myself earlier than most, in a generation fueled by the need to be the next ‘hot topic,’ I always have to watch my back. I have to be cautious with who I share my identity with because there are still many people who will use my identity as a way to discredit or invalidate my accomplishments and thoughts,” she explained.  “It took me a few years to love myself, and I found people who love me as I am. It pains me to see that there’s some people in the community who don’t have that support, which is what the country and administration should do in terms of the LGBTQ+ community.” 

A nationally representative sample of 489 lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer adults, found that more than half of them experienced slurs (57 percent) or offensive comments (53 percent). Most of those surveyed also reported that they or an LGBTQ friend or family member has been threatened or harassed (57 percent), sexually harassed (51 percent) or has experienced violence (51 percent) on the basis of their sexuality or gender identity. 

After many years LGBTQ people are tired of the intolerance and hate they receive. Therefore, they stand up to the unequal treatment. The goal among these movements is social equality for LGBTQ+ people. Some have also focused on building LGBTQ+ communities or worked towards liberation for the broader society from biphobia, homophobia, and transphobia. LGBTQ+ movements organized today are made up of a wide range of political activism and cultural activity, including lobbying, street marches, social groups, media, art, and research. They do this, in hopes that the government will change the laws and pass new laws that help the community and so that people will realize that they are no different from the rest of the world and deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. 

People might say that women now have rights which is true, but not many. Gender equality is still a battle that young girls and older women of all different ages, sizes, colors, and all over the world are still fighting for. Across the globe many women and girls still face discrimination on the basis of sex and gender. Gender inequality underpins many problems which disproportionately affect women and girls, such as domestic and sexual violence, lower pay, lack of access to education, and inadequate healthcare. For many years women’s rights movements have fought hard to address this inequality, campaigning to change laws or taking to the streets to demand their rights are respected. And new movements have flourished in the digital age, such as the #MeToo campaign which highlights the prevalence of gender-based violence and sexual harassment. 

Often, women are the subject of gender based discrimination in the workplace. One way of illustrating this is to look at the gender pay gap. Equal pay for the same work is a human right, but time and again women are denied access to a fair and equal wage. Recent figures show that women currently earn roughly 77% of what men earn for the same work. This leads to a lifetime of financial disparity for women, prevents them from fully exercising independence, and means an increased risk of poverty in later life. Women don’t nearly get the same opportunities or recognition they deserve. Women in particular have been negatively impacted. Women—especially women of color—are more likely to have been laid off or furloughed during the COVID-19 crisis. For every 100 men promoted to manager, only 85 women were promoted—and this gap was even larger for some women: only 58 Black women and 71 Latinas were promoted. The average earnings of all women who work full time, year round is 80.5 percent (routinely reported as 81 percent) of men who work full time, year round.

Here’s a few things that are going on around the world. In Argentina, Amnesty International has campaigned alongside grassroots human rights defenders to change the country’s strict abortion laws. There have been some major steps forward, but women and girls are still being harmed by laws which mean they cannot make choices about their own bodies. We have also campaigned successfully in Ireland and Northern Ireland, where abortion was recently decriminalized after many decades of lobbying by Amnesty and other rights groups. In Poland along with more than 200 human and women’s rights organizations from across the globe, Amnesty has co-signed a joint statement protesting the ‘Stop Abortion’ bill. South Korea has recently seen major advances in sexual and reproductive rights after many years of campaigning by Amnesty and other groups, culminating in a ruling by South Korea’s Constitutional Court that orders the government to decriminalize abortion in the country and reform the country’s highly restrictive abortion laws by the end of 2020. In Burkina Faso, Amnesty International has supported women and girls in their fight against forced marriage, which affects a huge number of girls especially in rural areas. And in Sierra Leone, Amnesty International has been working with local communities as part of our Human Rights Education Program, which focuses on a number of human rights issues, including female genital mutilation. In Zimbabwe, we found that women and girls were left vulnerable to unwanted pregnancies and a higher risk of HIV infection because of widespread confusion 

To conclude, we see examples of inequality all over our country shown towards people of color, that are LGBTQ+, and women. These injustices call for protests, orchestrated by people who are tired of this oppression. Our country must be united instead of separated, and in order to do that, a change must be made so all citizens are treated equally.