Coronavirus killing all the fun

Ava Andreottola

“Unfortunately because of the virus my two best friends’ weddings were canceled and I was really looking forward to it,” revealed Mrs. Nicole Curtis, Special Education teacher at Edison Intermediate School (EIS). 

Mrs. Curtis was upset that she wouldn’t be able to go celebrate with her friends, but she isn’t the only one missing out on fun and memorable events. The coronavirus has taken over, and everyone’s plans have been ruined. From weddings to graduations there is a lot of rescheduling to do.

Firstly, the whole state is pretty much shut down; there is nothing to do and nowhere to go. Since we can’t do much and have to stay in quarantine, all big events that were coming up in the next few months have been canceled. Junior and senior proms have been canceled, graduations from preschool to college have been canceled, and weddings have been canceled. People were recently told that school was out for the rest of the year. Amanda Licks, a student at Cranford High School, talked about how hard it was for her to lose a good part of her senior year because of quarantine. “It’s upsetting that my prom and graduation was canceled, but I understand that they are only looking out for our health,” she declared.

Seniors will never have the chance to re-do the ending of their year, eighth graders will not have the chance to have closure to move on, younger kids won’t have the chance to create bonds with their classmates “It is annoying because it was supposed to be the last goodbye,” Amanda added.

In addition, it is widely known that this will not be over any time soon, so there had to be some modifications to our daily lives. As of now, students all over New Jersey are learning online and having virtual classes. For some sports, kids and adults are having classes or workouts virtually, right in their own living rooms. EIS eighth grader Grace Lisnock expresses her feelings about missing the last few months of eighth grade: “The transition was a little difficult for me because I like to be active in the classroom and around my friends, but online school has been fine. I’m not really complaining; other than it’s kind of hard to stare at a screen for so long.” 

Moreover, it was not only difficult for the students, but the teachers had to find a way to get all of their assignments online. They were no longer able to interact with their students. “It was hard having to find new ways to connect with students. I’m just trying lots of new things, ” Mrs. Curtis stated.

Mr. Matt Varhley, eighth grade history teacher, shared what he misses the most about his regular daily life. “I miss the students. I was born to be an eighth grade U.S. History teacher. I have a great connection with most of my students. It’s difficult to sustain the connection through remote learning.”

The virus is also taking away social time. It is really important to have social interaction, especially for the younger kids. When developing the brain, you need social interaction to grow and further develop other skills. This is taking a huge toll on all kids’ social skills. Kids are no longer having sports practice either, meaning they can’t interact with other kids in different ways like they used to. Bianca Cordova, eighth grade student stated, “My dance studio has canceled all classes, competitions, and recitals. I am very upset about it. Dance is an escape from everything and not being able to do it every day with my best friends really is awful. I just can’t wait to get back into the studio.”

At the end of the day, people can only follow the rules that are in place to try and better the situation. Having online classes and sports practice has not been too bad for most. This isn’t supposed to be a long term situation, but have a schedule and staying positive will help everyone out. “I learned that routines are very important to stay on track,” Mr. Zach Crutcher, eighth grade math teacher explained.