Quarantine puts a stop on normal life

Quarantine puts a stop on normal life

Brody Esler and Ethan Epstein

“The US is on track to surge to 200,000 daily new COVID-19 cases in the next few weeks,” declared a newly appointed adviser to President-elect Joe Biden. Over the course of the last year, our country has gone crazy dealing with COVID-19 leaving many people in state of emergency. It has left many doing virtual school and other activities online. 

Over the last two years of school students have learned much different than the years prior. When most New Jersey schools first closed in March, teachers didn’t have many plans for virtual learning. School’s weren’t sure about students at home situations so they weren’t prepared for shutdown at all. Many students were not able to play sports, see friends and have an easy time completing work. Due to many schools shutting down this has caused issues to school structure, and caused many distractions to students around the world.

School has looked much different than the way they looked years back. Students were either at home doing school on a computer or were in school but on virtual calls. Lots of students being taught virtually has caused lots of stress and distraction. Here’s a quote from James Furrer, a student at Edison Intermediate School, “Sometimes at home, I feel much more tempted to turn off my camera and go on my phone.” 

Since COVID, many students have experienced different school environments. Students at home have many distractions around them. Whether it is video games, phones, or computers. In addition to distractions, students are on screens for unhealthy amounts of hours. Sixth grader Jordana Soloman explained, “It’s more challenging to do school at home because there are always some technology issues and I don’t enjoy looking at my screen every day.” 

In class, students can turn their cameras off and ignore their teachers. Then when the time comes to have an exam it leaves many students behind on the material. Students not knowing their material and being home will lead to cheating. In a short questionnaire sent out to Rutgers students, “68% of students confessed that they had broken the university’s explicit anti-cheating rules.” 

The second way that COVID has harmed many kids in school is structure. Throughout these last two years of school, it has been structured much differently. One year ago when COVID had first become a problem in the United States schools had lacked structure and we did not learn much. This year school is much more structured with hybrid, everyday and virtual school. Stephen Guerriero who’s a middle school teacher, “If there’s one thing Stephen Guerriero has learned in his 18 years teaching middle-school students, it’s that they thrive on structure and predictability” (North). Last year was very unpredictable. We didn’t learn much and students were free to spend as much time as they wanted on work or they could go and sit on their phone, play video games, watch tv etc. But, students can agree that there is much more structure this year and we are learning much more. 

Throughout the past year COVID has changed our ordinary lives. It has stopped normal school and has changed many sports. In addition, many people have lost their lives due to this pandemic. With Vaccinations to the public the world has seen a dip in COVID cases. Overall, COVID has affected students in school in many ways such as it has added many distractions and has changed the way school is structured.